Campaigners pin hopes on Pickles after controversial Tesco plans referred
- UPDATE: Plans to build Tesco at Bishop Centre site approved
- BREAKING NEWS: Plans to build Tesco at Bishop Centre site approved
- Decision due over Frankie and Benny's restaurant in the Bishop Centre
- Fundraisers running out of options for Dorney Village Hall
- Bishop Centre update: Parish council will write to Government
CONTROVERSIAL plans for a new Tesco store have been referred to the secretary of state.
On Thursday last week South Bucks District Council (SBDC) referred the Land Securities application, which could bring a £20m shopping village to Bath Road, Taplow, to MP Eric Pickles, secretary of state for communities and local government
A spokesperson from South Bucks District Council said: "We should receive notification from the Secretary of State within 21 days as to whether they intend to call in the application or confirmation that they require more time to consider it."
SBDC approved the plans in March, despite planning officers recommending refusal, but Mr Pickles could still force a planning inquiry.
George Sandy, chairman of Taplow Parish Council, which sent a letter to Eric Pickles raising concerns about the plans last month, said: "All we can do now is wait and see what happens."
This article appeared in Slough Observer 22 Jun 12