FIREFIGHTERS spent two hours this afternoon at a recycling centre after cardboard in a metal container went up in flames.

Crews from the Langley and Slough stations were called to the Langley Recycling Centre, in Langley Park Road, at around 2.45pm to tackle the fire.

The whole of the inside of the container went up in flames and firefighters pumped in water from the nearby canal to extinguish the fire.

No-one was injured in the fire and the container was undamaged.

A pump from the station was due to return to the centre this evening to check no embers were smouldering in the container.