FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man from a flat fire last night after his oven ignited while he was fast asleep.

The Slough crew made entry to the second floor flat in North Burnham Close, Burnham, at around 11.30pm last night (Friday, February 2).

They rescued the 22-year-old who was suffering from smoke inhalation and put out the fire in the oven.

The man, who had put food inside the appliance before falling asleep, was taken to hospital.

Firefighters said the kitchen area had suffered from minor smoke damage and the man would be able to return to the flat. Three fire engines and Thames Valley Police attended the scene. No adjoining flats had been affected by the blaze, The Observer was told.