A man and young girl escaped a flat fire after food was left cooking on a hob around 1pm today (Sunday).

Firefighters wearing breathing gear used a dry powder extinguisher to quell a hob fire after the man discovered the fire, shut the kitchen door and led the young girl to safety before calling in the emergency service.

The fire tool hold in a third floor flat in a building just off Priory Way, Burnham.

Two engines, one each from Slough and Maidenhead attended the scene and quickly doused the fire.

The flat was not fitted with a smoke alarm and the fire service has a them. Advised everyone who has one installed in their property to check them regularly, and if not installed, to do so immediately and maintain them as a vital part of home safety.

No one was injured.