DOG lovers are being warned to keep a watchful eye on their pets at summer barbecues.

The famous Battersea care home for dogs and cats in London also has a centre in Old Windsor.

The charity's head vet Shaun Opperman said that their vets had often discovered remnants of barbeque food making dogs sick.

He said: "At this time of year, with people enjoying the hot weather and having barbecues, it’s so important that owners keep food out of reach of their dogs to make sure they don’t eat anything they shouldn’t. Dogs can also be opportunists and may be tempted to steal food from the barbecue, which can end with them being burnt. Make sure you’re watching them around the grill and put any embers out as quickly as possible.”

Onions, chocolate and alcohol are all poisonous to dogs and should be kept well out of reach. Dogs will also try to prise food off skewers if not watched with catastrophic results.