The Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service has provided residents with helpful tips to enjoy the New Year celebrations safely.

Along with party food, champagne and a rendition of Auld Lang’s Syne, a common theme of New Year celebrations are fireworks, bonfires and lanterns.

If you plan on hosting a firework display, the RBFRS have issued the following advice:

- Only buy fireworks that are marked with BS 7114 or with a CE mark – this shows that the firework meets British or European safety standards.

- Do not drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.

- Keep fireworks in a suitable storage box.

- Never go near a firework that has been lit – even if it has gone off, it could still explode.

- Always supervise children around fireworks and never give sparklers to a child under five.

Should you be planning on enjoying a bonfire, residents have been urged to remember:

- Build bonfires well away from buildings, fences, trees and garden structures.

- Never burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint – many produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode causing injury.

- Do not use petrol or paraffin to start the fire as it could quickly get out of control.

- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby in case of emergencies.

Smaller lanterns or candles should also be used carefully, the fire service have advised residents to:

- Think carefully about the fire risks if making homemade lanterns. Place them securely in a purpose-built candle holder away from draughts. Flickering LED candles are safer than real candles.

- Never allow small children to carry lanterns lit by naked flames. The handle could become hot or the child could slip.

- Lanterns should never be made from plastic bottles or other plastic containers.

- Floating lanterns are a fire hazard but also pose a risk to livestock, agriculture, camping activities, thatched properties and hazardous material sites.

Prevention Project manager Chelsea Bridges said: “New Year celebrations are an important time of year for many of our residents, who may be going out or welcoming friends and family to their homes.

“Whilst we don’t want to spoil anyone’s fun, we want to remind residents to take care, especially when using fireworks, bonfires, lanterns or candles, which carry a particular risk.”