THE heatwave will come to an end this week after a warning for thunderstorms has been issued in Berkshire.

The yellow weather alert will be in force for the whole of the county from Saturday, July 24, until Sunday, June 25.

The Met Office said there is a chance of lightning and hail with a potential of 100 mm of rain to build up in some areas.

READ MORE: Met Office issues amber warning in Berks over heat

There will be outbreaks of rain and thunderstorms on Friday night with heavy thundery showers 'likely to break out by day'. Sunday, in particular, will see 'torrential rain'.

There is a 40 per cent chance of heavy showers in Berkshire on Saturday, but that rises to 60 per cent on Sunday.

It's not all doom and gloom though as there will be mix of sunshine forecast throughout the weekend.

Residents have been told to expect transport disruption and flooding in some areas.

ALSO READ: People dance inside nightclubs in Reading as they reopen on Freedom Day

There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings.

Where flooding occurs, there is a slight chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services

Spray and flooding could also lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures