A Polish deli manager has been hit with a big fine and community service after failing to comply with hygiene improvement noticed.

Pierozek deli, which was located in Market Street, Maidenhead, was operated by Bartosz Rybka. The store has since shut down.

Rybka appeared at Reading Magistrates’ Court on Friday, July 21 where he pleaded guilty to a number of failings at the Pierozek deli.

At the hearing Rybka, 37, admitted to failing to comply with a Hygiene Improvement Notice - which raised concerns about the provision of adequate facilities for washing hands behind the deli counter and in the staff toilet at the business.

They also failed to provide adequate facilities for washing utensils and equipment used behind the deli counter at the business.

Rybka also failed to correctly label food items.

This ranged from displaying a quantity of food items that were incorrectly labelled, not displaying allergen information and now labelling in English, contrary to the Food Information Regulations

Rybka, the food business operator, has been sentenced to 100 hours of unpaid work and fined more than £2,000 in a prosecution by the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead’s Environmental Health team.

This is broken down into £623 for each offence and £1,038 for failing to correctly label food.

For failing to provide suitable and sufficient hand washing facilities in connection with the staff toilet he was handed a 12-month community order with 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £2,000 in costs and a victim surcharge of £190.

Environmental Health Service Manager at the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead, Obi Oranu said: “Our Environmental Health team regulates businesses through inspections and checks compliance.

"Occasionally, where there is non-compliance, the team will work with the business to ensure this is achieved.

"Where necessary, to protect the public, the team serves statutory notices requiring operators to make improvements.

“Where these notices are not complied with, the council will consider prosecution to protect residents and visitors and ensure regulations set out in law to promote health and safety and hygiene are complied with.

"Correct food labelling is incredibly important, not only to help consumers make informed choices, but also so they are aware of any potential allergens contained within products on sale.

“This successful prosecution demonstrates the council’s commitment to protecting its residents, and I’d like to congratulate the team on securing this positive result.

"They will continue to carry out checks across our borough and act upon information received to help ensure businesses are operating within the law.”