A Slough warehouse worker who was stressed about being under investigation by the police, was found dead in his bedroom, an inquest has heard.

Lehel-Attila Keresztes had told his cousin that he had been arrested and released on bail several months before his death.

The period which followed was “very stressful” for the 31-year-old, particularly as he was told he was not allowed to stay at his home, his cousin, Pali-Levente Kerekes, added.

Though Reading Coroners Court heard how Mr Keresztes - known as Lee - eventually found temporary accommodation on London Road, while the investigation continued.

Emergency services were called to the property on October 22 last year after Mr Keresztes was found unresponsive in his bed by his landlord, a coroner said.

Mr Kerekes, a warehouse supervisor, told the inquest: “Four or five months ago, Lee told me he was under investigation by the police. He told me in person the same day he was arrested.

“After he was released on bail, he came to my workplace. He appeared very rattled and confused about what had happened. 

“Days and weeks after this were very stressful for him. Since the investigation started, Lee became very negative about he outcome.

“His bail was extended, which made him more stressed as he just wanted to know what the outcome would be.”

The inquest was told that Mr Keresztes attended Mr Kerekes’s daughter’s birthday party and also came to bring him bicycle parts in the weeks before his death.

But Mr Kerekes later received a call from Mr Keresztes’s mother, saying she had not heard from him. The landlord for the London Road property was contacted and he used a key to access Mr Keresztes room, where he was found dead.

The inquest heard that Mr Keresztes had left a note about what to do if he was arrested, which was discovered following his death.

A subsequent police investigation found that Mr Keresztes had lost his job after smoking cannabis and had been taking herbal pills to keep him calm.

Ian Wade KC, the assistant coroner for Berkshire, said a toxicological report found that before his death, Mr Keresztes had taken a number of different drugs including illegally obtained heroin. 

His medical cause of death was “acute cardio respiratory failure” caused by “multi-drug toxicity”, Mr Wade said.

Concluding the inquest, Mr Wade said: “I am satisfied that Lee, for whatever reason - but almost certainly for a recreational purpose - took a relatively small quantity of different illicit drugs. They are notorious in combination for causing depression of the cardiac rhythm.

“While it may be that he was understandably troubled by finding himself the object of a police investigation, it appeared he was someone who had every intention of seeing through his problems.

“He never let on to anyone that he was anything other than greatly stressed by the investigation, but there is no evidence to suggest he ended his life deliberately.”

The coroner’s conclusion was that of a ‘drug related death’.