Slough Borough Council has issued a warning to residents after a bin crew narrowly avoided being hit by an exploding gas cannister.

The incident occurred yesterday (May 15) in Cippenham.

A gas cannister left exploded as it was being fed into the compactor of a bin lorry.

As it flew out of the back of the vehicle at high speed, it narrowly missed two members of the crew.

The incident was recorded, and a still image has been made public.

Slough Borough Council is urging residents to avoid putting inappropriate or dangerous items - including gas cannisters - in their rubbish.

Cllr Gurcharan Singh Manku, the council's lead member for the environment, environmental services and open spaces, said: "Gas cannisters of any sort should never be placed in a domestic bin and can be disposed of for free at our recycling centre.

"The crew was lucky today as it was only their quick reflexes that saved them from potentially serious injuries.

"I would hate to think of what would have happened if they had not reacted so quickly or if there had been a child or even a local resident nearby who ended up being struck.

"Putting the wrong things in bins is not only unnecessary but dangerous, not just for our crews but for your friends and neighbours.

"This incident shows just how dangerous it is so I would plead with everyone to think of others' welfare and only put things in their bins that should be in there."