SLOUGH Jets have completed an early-season double over Lee Valley Lions after an 8-4 win at The Hangar on Saturday evening.

Jets went into the game having had a convincing win over Lee Valley in their previous meeting, and with the squad starting to come together.

With less than 10 minutes gone in the first period, a quick break on the Lions net gave Liam Underdown time to find the perfect pass for Jamie Milton to bang home from close range.

Slough then began to up the pace with some slick passing and possession. Milton scored his second of the night with a quick snipe into the top left on the powerplay, assisted by Timo Lindgren.

Lee Valley then started to buckle as Ashley West stole the puck mid-ice and bore down on James Tipple with great speed to shoot into the roof of the net.

Jets started the second stanza with the certainty that the points were theirs for the taking, but the ever-resilient Lions had other ideas.

Within two minutes of the restart Slough goalie Simon Johnston had his work cut out with Nicholas Alley beating him with a rebound to score.

Jets began to get sloppy as James Sanderson got a two-minute penalty for holding.

Under the cosh, they could not clear the puck and were made to pay when quick Lions passing had Alley free on the back post to tap in.

Before they knew it, Slough were under a lot of pressure and this time a pass intercepted by Chris Fox made it 3-3 with only 35 minutes played.

Jets began to play hard and Nathan Darmanian was next to score when he was in the right place at the right time to tap under the legs of Tipple.

Darmanian fell forward onto Tipple in the act of scoring and the Lee Valley goalie could not continue with a head injury. He was replaced by Steven Grout.

As the final period started Slough began to press high on the Lions and David Print was to be rewarded as a screened shot found its way past Grout.

Shortly after, Darmanian showed his speed and composure to get a second of the night, leaving all on the ice behind to bang the puck into the roof of the net.

Jets would finish-off the scoring spree moments later as Charlie Dobbins found West in acres of space and his shot from the blue line beat Grout at the far post.

Slough coach Tony Milston said: “Another ground out result for the Jets. We came out of the blocks with real intent and thought we had the game won at the first period break, but Lee Valley had different ideas and came back, shaking our confidence.

“After a few words between the second had third stanza breaks we came out flying again in our own match-winning period.

“We need to find consistency but with such a new squad we’re still learning each others names. Having a few senior players around does help guide the youngsters though.

“My biggest problem is availability. These guys are not paid to play and if work calls they’re not available, and that hurts the balance of the squad.

“With a full squad available for selection, I’m confident we can take on anybody in our league.

“We’re in a re-build year, after the devastation we had over the summer with two or three of the squad moving up to higher leagues.

“But I’m happy with the team signed, and once I have the lines sorted I’m sure good things will happen.”

Slough, now top of the National Ice Hockey League South Two East table, welcome London Haringey Racers to the Hangar on Saturday (6.30pm).

Jets then head to Swindon Wildcats on Sunday (7.30pm)