GREAT BRITAIN scored two late goals to retain their 100 per cent record in the women's hockey tournament after beating principal Pool B rivals the United States 2-1 on Saturday.

Alex Danson struck the winner four minutes from time through a crowd of players, with her goal coming just after Sophie Bray had hauled Britain level in Deodoro by cancelling out Michelle Vittese's strike.

Britain's team, featuring a number of Berkshire-based players including Maidenhead-based skipper Kate Richardson-Walsh, finished top of Pool B with five wins out of five, and could now face Spain in Monday's last quarter-final.

Whoever they end up meeting, though, Great Britain look strongly-placed to reach next week's latter tournament stages.

Crista Cullen made a 100th appearance for her country, and she was rapidly involved, only to be denied by American goalkeeper Jackie Briggs' brilliance.

Briggs tipped an 11th-minute penalty corner from Cullen over the bar, and then she denied the same player again just three minutes later as Britain pushed strongly for an opening goal.

Bray also found Briggs in inspired form, and a scoreless first half was rough justice on Britain after they had dominated territory.

A tense third quarter saw fewer chances, but the United States broke through when Vittese ran powerfully at the heart of Britain's defence before shooting low past goalkeeper Maddie Hinch.

But Britain were not to be denied, and they finished in superb style to retain strong medal prospects.

Match-winner Danson said: "We are absolutely delighted with our performance.

"I think we felt we had the balance of play and played some really good hockey.

"When we went one goal down, we have been in that situation before and knew what we had to do. It was just sticking to our processes.

"We have got momentum, but it is very much a match-by-match basis for us.

"It's fantastic when you are winning games, because you have that belief.

"We will recover now - eat, rest and sleep - and then it's heads on and ready for the next game."