NEIL BAKER says Slough Town were unfazed by the pressure to deliver a victory in their historic homecoming at Arbour Park on Bank Holiday Monday.

The Rebels recovered from falling a goal behind early on to mark their long-awaited return to the town with a 2-1 win against Hayes & Yeading United.

It was a scrappy match on a hot summer’s day but, roared on by a 1,400-strong crowd, goals either side of the break from Lee Barney and James Dobson secured Slough all three points.

“We wanted to start the season fantastically, which is exactly what we have done, so it was just a case of getting another win,” Rebels’ joint-boss told the Observer.

“We told the lads to play but unfortunately we didn’t get the ball down as much as we wanted, and it was probably a relatively scrappy game.

“Hayes were quite direct in how they played and we’ve ended up following suit a little bit, but we dug it out and obviously I’m absolutely delighted with the three points.

“We thought the game was quite open and we did say to get the ball down, keep it on the ground and try not to fall into the trap of going long, but I don’t think we were quite at it.

“We had little spells where we did well, but it was a scrap, and we scrapped it out best and got the points.

“Going a goal behind was a bit of a wake-up call but at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter, it’s the three points that do, that’s the main thing.

“I thought we had plenty of chances but they had a few as well and Mark Scott was excellent. He made three or four great saves.”

Slough Observer:

PHOTO: James Dobson, right, celebrates his winner for Slough Town on Bank Holiday Monday.

Baker added: “To be honest, I don’t think they really thought too much about it [pressure]. The lads aren’t that fazed by anything so they just got on with it and worked hard.

“It was a really hot day on the 3G, so we just needed to make sure that the players worked hard and competed, which they did.

“Hayes can probably come away and say they deserved something from the game. I thought they had quite a few good chances and Mark made a number of quality saves.

“They will probably feel hard done by that they didn’t get a point but you never know what’s going to happen in football.

“We were hard done by at Banbury where we didn’t get any points and should have got all three.

“We probably didn’t deserve to win the game on Monday, but we have and a win’s a win.”

Commenting on the two Slough goals, Baker said: “Lee’s finish was superb. He worked really hard to get into that position and could’ve almost gone down.

“I think their lad gave him a nudge but he stayed on his feet and smashed it into the back of the net.

“James started on the bench but came on and is the hero, so he’s got to be delighted and I’m happy for them both.”

The win at Arbour Park followed on from a 3-1 victory at Cirencester Town on Saturday.

Gavin James scored his first goals for the club before heading off to represent St Vincent & the Grenadines in two World Cup qualifying matches.

Lewis Putman was also on target in the win at the Corinium Stadium, and the two victories keep Slough second in the Southern Premier Division table.

The Rebels turn their attention toward the FA Cup this Saturday and a first qualifying round tie at home to Chipstead (3pm).

Chipstead currently stand 12th in Ryman Division One South with five points from four matches.