WINDSOR manager Mick Woodham has hailed the 2-1 win at Walton & Hersham in the FA Vase third round as a brilliant day for the club.

A goal from Malachi Thomas on 72 minutes gave Combined Counties Premier Division club Walton & Hersham the lead at the Elmbridge Sports Club.

Bradley Pearce equalised for Windsor three minutes from the end of normal time and the teen star fired in the winner two minutes into stoppage time.

Woodham told the Observer he was absolutely chuffed to bits with the win and explained: “We knew what we were up against when we came here.

“They’re a very good attacking side and probably won the first half, but we had a few words at half time and probably won the second half.

“They were two evenly-matched sides and their manager is probably thinking how have they lost it.

“We stuck at it and found a way to win. We were progressive in our changes, trying to force a goal, and by forcing one we found two.

“It was a brilliant day for the club and I’m really pleased for the players.”

Slough Observer:

Windsor's Kieron Knight is all smiles at the final whistle.

He continued: “We were not going to walk in and say that, away from home, we are favourites, but we left training and were quietly confident.

“We knew that as a group we had done as much as we can. It was about us wanting to win the game and if we were at our very best we could win.

“We were not at our best for 90 minutes but we’ve won, so hats off to the boys, credit to them for their spirit and character and believing that we could win.

“We showed a lot of character and a real desire and hunger to get that result. It stems from what we said in training about wanting to win the game, and that is what we set out to do.”

Walton & Hersham took the lead on 72 minutes when Abdeen Abdul delivered a perfect cross into the box and Thomas beat the hapless Hugo Sobte from inside six yards.

Windsor did not let their heads drop however and levelled the scores in the 87th minute.

Ashley Smith sent a free-kick into the box and, after a header hit the top of the bar, Pearce was able to divert the ball home with his face on the goal line.

The winner arrived in the second minute of time added on, but was no less than Windsor deserved.

Barry Hayles rolled the ball to Pearce who drove into the box and hit a powerful right-foot shot under keeper Brendan Norris.

Slough Observer:

Andrew Ingham drives Windsor forward against Walton & Hersham.

Woodham commented: “Hugo had to make two terrific saves in the firs half. There was a lot of pace and power behind those shots and he did very well to get on the end of them.

“We rode our luck six yards out when they really should have scored. They probably came in at half time thinking that their mindset is to go on and win they game.

“We had to have a chat about raising our game a little bit and winning a few more individual battles, and we did that in the second half. We showed our best side after the break.

“We went a goal behind and could have folded but we didn’t, we just kept on going. We made a few tweaks and changes to the shape and the personnel and we got the result.”

The reward for Windsor is a fourth round tie away at Southern Combination Premier Division club Eastbourne Town on Saturday, January 6 (3pm).

Woodham said: “Anything can happen now but we’re just pleased to be in it. Let us see where it goes but we’re going to enjoy it.

“It’s very difficult to dismiss our away form at the moment and we are all superstitious. We will take a cup run away from home.”

However, Windsor's joy turned to frustration on Tuesday night when they were beaten 5-0 at high-flying Bracknell Town in the Hellenic Premier.

Joe Grant and Jon Bennett both scored twice for the Robins after Adam Cornell had put them in front.

Windsor face another tough test this Saturday when they host title-chasing Thatcham Town (3pm) before visiting Binfield on Monday (7.45pm).