SLOUGH Town have suffered defeat on their return to action in the Southern Premier Division after a 4-2 loss to Bishops Stortford on Saturday.

The Rebels, playing in their first league match since November 21, were beaten at home in the league for the first time since their opening day loss to Kettering Town.

An unfortunate Nathan Smart own goal gave Bishops Stortford the lead inside six minutes at Arbour Park, but James Dobson levelled the scores five minutes before the half-time interval with his 16th goal of the season.

The visitors regained the advantage two minutes after the break through Jason Williams.

Slough were reduced to 10-men when Smart was shown a straight red card in the 63rd minute, and from the resulting free-kick Tom Clifford scored to put Bishops Stortford 3-1 ahead.

Substitute Brad Wadkins bagged his ninth goal of the season after 77 minutes to give The Rebels a lifeline, but Williams secured the points for the away team with his second goal of the match a minute into time added on.

The defeat leaves Slough in sixth place in the league table and four points outside the play-off positions but with games in hand on all the sides above them.

The Rebels were due to travel to Hitchin Town on Monday but the match was postponed due to a snow-covered pitch at Top Field.

Slough are away to top-of-the-table Kings Lynn Town this Saturday (3pm), before a Berks & Bucks second round tie at home to Hellenic Premier Division club Wantage Town next Tuesday (7.45pm).

Burnham were unable to register a goal in a 2-0 defeat against Tuffley Rovers in the Hellenic Premier Division.

Courtney Hamilton and Warren Mann scored either side of the half-time interval at The Gore for Tuffley.

The defeat leaves Burnham second from bottom in the league table, but The Blues could move up to 16th position with a win away at Brimscombe & Thrupp this Saturday (3pm).

Chalvey Sports have made progress in the Slough Town Senior Cup this season after a 3-1 win away at East Berkshire Football League club Frontline.

Bryan Taylor scored before the half-time interval and Aydn Coomber twice after the break.

Grab a copy of the Observer this Friday for match reports, pictures and reaction.