SLOUGH Town failed to put a dent in Bath City’s promotion hopes after a 2-0 away defeat.

Rebels faced a tall order on Saturday for their first trip to Twerton Park in more than two decades.

Slough were light up front after losing Ben Harris for the rest of the season with a knee injury sustained in the previous 2-2 draw with Dartford.

And, despite creating several clear chances, Jon Underwood and Neil Baker’s men could not find the net as their winless run in National League South extended to seven matches.

Goals from Bristol City loanees Freddie Hinds and James Morton sealed the victory for sixth-placed Bath City, who also saw a second-half penalty saved by Jack Turner.

The home side were quickly out of the traps with Hinds narrowly missing the target.

However, Rebels were inches away from taking the lead when Mark Nisbet sent Manny Williams through, only for his scuffed shot to beat Bath keeper Ryan Clarke before striking the post.

Williams went close again soon after when he collected a ball over the top but failed to beat Clarke who made a crucial save.

And the Romans were indebted to another vital intervention from Clarke to block a Louie Soares effort as Rebels continued to knock on the door.

However, their failure to score when on top came back to haunt them when Bath broke the deadlock in the 28th minute, Hinds out-stripping Sam Togwell before rounding Turner and slotting home.

The momentum had swung Bath’s way and they pressed for a second only to be denied a penalty shout when Hinds went down in a challenge with Sam Togwell.

Then Turner saved his team-mate’s blushes with an outstanding save to prevent an own goal following a dangerous cross.

Bath City remained on top after the break and were awarded a penalty when Fraser tripped an opponent in his own box – only for Turner to fling himself to his left to keep out Anthony Straker’s spot-kick.

Turner was also at his very best again soon after when he somehow denied Hinds from no more than three yards out.

Rebels hit back only for their frustration to increase when they were denied two penalty shouts.

Josh Jackman went down in the Bath box as he rose to meet Simon Dunn’s cross, but nothing was given.

Then minutes later a Bath defender was accused of punching the ball away from goal from after a Williams effort only for referee Alex Blake to wave play on again.

To rub salt into Slough wounds, the hosts snatched a second goal in stoppage time when Hinds broke from a Rebels set-piece at the other end of the pitch and found Morton, whose clever lob over Turner put the result in no doubt.

Rebels remain 12th in the league table and this Saturday they host Hemel Hempstead Town, the side immediately below (3pm ko).

Slough Town: Turner, Fraser (Jackman), Wells, S.Togwell, Nisbet, L.Togwell, Soares (Wood), Clifford, Williams, Lench (Dunn), Harris. Subs not used: Hollis, Phillips. Booked: Fraser, Nisbet, L.Togwell, Clifford.