BURNHAM have reached the Hellenic Subsidiary Cup final this season after a 3-2 win at rivals Holyport on Tuesday, writes Rob Stevens.

A goal from Lucas Sinclair gave the Blues the lead inside six minutes of the semi-final tie at Summerleaze.

Daniel Rapley drove home to equalise for Port in the 12th minute, but the visitors took a lead into the break after Oliver Harris scored on the half-hour mark.

Burnham extended their advantage thanks to a Dean Allen penalty 10 minutes into the second half, before Rapley pulled a goal back in the 75th minute.

Holyport then saw a late spot-kick saved by the Blues keeper, before being reduced to 10 men as Lee Ovens saw red for a handball offence.

Burnham manager Paul Shone told the Observer: “It was good to get through to a final, which we set out to do at the start of the season.

“Holyport edged the two previous encounters so came in with confidence and probably thought they had our number.

“We made a great start and were ahead inside six minutes. Holyport soon equalised so it was an end-to-end, entertaining game and local derby.

“We deserved to take the lead but it was never a free-kick in my opinion. The decision-making was down to the officials but they were a bit dubious for both sides.

“We then went 3-1 ahead and could have made it a little bit easier for ourselves in the last 10 minutes, but Holyport never gave up with a place in the final at stake and were a credit to themselves.”

Burnham will play Malmesbury Victoria from Division One West in the final at Newent Town in Gloucestershire on Saturday 4th May (3pm).

Shone said: “It could have been more local for us all but we will just get on with it because it’s out of our hands. We will go and try to do the business wherever it is.

“We will do our homework but, looking at their results and the league table, it will be a tough game.

“We will not underestimate Malmesbury and it’s another good game to look forward to.”

Holyport extended their unbeaten run in Division One East to six matches following a 2-0 win against Wallingford Town on Saturday.

Goals from Jamie Handscomb and Fabian Driffill either side of the break secured all three points at Summerleaze.

Port travel to AFC Aldermaston this Saturday (3pm).