SLOUGH Town secured their first point of the new season in the National League South after a 1-1 draw against Weymouth at Arbour Park on Tuesday, writes Rob Stevens.

The Rebels were a little bit short on confidence having made their worst start to a new league season for more than 45 years having been beaten in their first three matches.

Weymouth however travelled to Berkshire in good form having won the Southern League Premier South title last season and made an unbeaten start to life in the National South.

The visitors made the perfect start when taking the lead with a goal from Abdulai Baggie inside four minutes. Terras captain Josh McQuoid broke down the left but saw his shot saved by Jack Turner. George Wells then cleared the follow-up effort off the line but Baggie was on hand to put the ball in the net.

It is the third game in a row that Slough have conceded a goal in the opening 10 minutes.

The Rebels were unfortunate not to equalise just seconds later when captain Sam Togwell scored from a corner, but the goal was ruled out for offside.

The home side were gifted the chance to level the scores when Matthew Lench was fouled inside the box by Stephane Zuber. Ben Harris smashed home the resulting spot-kick in the 25th minute.

Slough were reduced to 10 men after 75 minutes when substitute Francis Amartey was shown a straight red card by referee Scott Tallis for a foul on Josh Wakefield.

Underwood told the Observer: “I feel a lot happier and it looked more like us. Our biggest complaint on Saturday was we didn’t look like a Neil Baker and Jon Underwood team in terms of our workrate and intensity.

“It’s the third game in a row that we’ve gone behind in the first five minutes, which needs to be addressed, but outside of that goal we started the game very well.

“Weymouth are a very good side and came here in good form with confidence through the roof, and we were the opposite if I’m honest.

“We have to start somewhere and sometimes it’s just sheer hard work that gets you that first point. Of course we would’ve liked three and, with how the first half went, we had a chance of winning the game.

“We caused them a lot of problems in the first half. Weymouth were always a threat on the break but we edged the first half.

“Weymouth started to get more of a grip on the game in the second half.

“We made the change up front but the sending off makes it really difficult for us with 15-20 minutes to go because they’re a very good footballing side.

“Weymouth moved the ball quickly and knew what to do against 10 men. They moved it side-to-side and probed, and we just had to hang on in there, work hard and put our bodies on the line. We did that and in the end it was a very hard-earned point.”

He continued: “It showed good character that we did that. In the last two games the goals that we’ve given away have been ridiculous but sometimes you’ve got to give credit to the opposition. Their movement and passing for the goal was very good.

“I’m sure when we watch it back there will be things that we could’ve done differently but you do sometimes have to realise you’re up against a very good side and give them a little bit of credit.

“It’s something that we need to cut out of our game because we keep on giving ourselves a mountain to climb. We need to get in front in a game and then it gives you something to defend.

“That was disappointing but the reaction was very good. We scored a minute later but it was ruled out for offside - it looked very close. It’s an instant reaction to go up the other end and create a chance.”

The joint-boss commented on the second half: “Weymouth kept the ball better. Halfway through the period we were looking at it and thought we might need to tweak something because they were just starting to get on top. We were hurting them less and less as the half went on.

“The sending off changed everything because you then go into a mode where you’ve got to try and keep that point and that’s what we did.

“Weymouth had a few near misses and some heart-in-the-mouth moments but, on the balance of the last four games, we deserved that point."