SLOUGH Town extended their unbeaten run away from home to five matches after a 1-1 draw at Chelmsford City on Saturday, writes Rob Stevens.

The Rebels had to recover from falling behind at the Melbourne Stadium but Ryan Bird scored his first goal in nine matches to ensure the points were shared.

Slough made one change from the side that drew with promotion rivals Havant & Waterlooville last weekend with Warren Harris replaced by debutante Paul Hodges.

Hodges joined The Rebels from National League Club Woking in midweek and in search of more regular first team football having seen his opportunities limited so far this season.

The attacking player was with Slough during pre-season back in 2017 but joined Hartley Wintney where he scored 30 goals in all competitions.

READ MORE: Slough Town face a crucial week in the race for promotion

That form earned him a move to Woking last season and he helped the club to promotion to the National League with seven goals in 46 appearances.

Slough had the better of the chances in the first half but it remained goalless on the half-time whistle.

Slough Observer:

PHOTO: Slough Town winger Max Worsfold was a threat down the left wing in the draw at Chelmsford City on Saturday.

Max Worsfold burst into the box but his low shot was saved by Chelmsford keeper Laurie Walker and the rebound just missed the head of Hodges midway through the first period.

George Wells then tried his luck from 25-yards but it was straight at the City keeper.

The home side had one chance in the first half as Leroy Lita got on the end of a wicked cross but his shot was straight at Slough keeper Jack Turner.

READ MORE: Jon Underwood is happy after Slough Town draw with promotion rivals Havant & Waterlooville

The Rebels twice came close to opening the scoring inside the first 10 minutes of the second period as a cross from Josh Jackman got caught in the wind but the ball fell perfectly for Daniel Roberts to take it round a defender but shoot wide.

Sam Togwell then met a cross from Worsfold but his header was wide, and the missed chances were punished as Chelmsford broke the deadlock in the 59th minute.

Joseph Chidyausiku capitalised on a ball straight down the middle as keeper Turner came out but did not reach it and defender Guy Hollis could not stop it from going into the net.

Slough however were behind for just six minutes as Matthew Lench delivered a free-kick towards the back post where Bird was able to head in his third goal of the season.

Chelmsford then had keeper Walker to thank for keeping them level as he saved from Worsfold and twice denied Roberts within minutes of the Rebels equaliser.

Slough Observer:

PHOTO: Slough Town striker Daniel Roberts was dined by Chelmsford keeper Laurie Walker on more than one occasion on Saturday.

Opportunities were at a minimum inside the final 20 minutes as Sam Togwell saw a header saved by Walker and Lench went close with a blocked shot, before a late Chelmsford free-kick went wide of the goal.

The draw means Slough have dropped one place to third position in the table after Bath City beat Dulwich Hamlet 3-2 at home to leapfrog The Rebels in the table.

The Rebels face a mouth-watering to fifth-in-the-table Havant & Waterlooville on Wednesday night (7.45pm).