SLOUGH Town suffered back-to-back defeats in the National League South for the first time since the opening week in the season after a 2-0 loss at Weymouth on Saturday, writes Rob Stevens.

The Rebels suffered a surprise defeat to bottom side and Berkshire rivals Hungerford Town last weekend and a fruitless trip to the South coast is a blow to their chances of finishing in the top three this season.

Slough began the day behind third-placed Weymouth on goal difference but have now fallen three points adrift as well as dropping a place to fifth position in the table.

The Rebels made five changes to the side that beat MK Dons on penalties in the quarter final to the Berks & Bucks in midweek. The quintet of Josh Jackman, Sam Togwell, Guy Hollis, Matthew Lench and Warren Harris were all rested in the county cup, but all returned to the starting line-up.

Both Paul Hodges and Scott Davies picked up knocks in midweek and dropped to the substitutes bench as did Manny Williams while George Wells was unavailable and there was no place in the squad for Aaron Kuhl.

READ MORE: Slough Town within three more wins of securing a spot in the play-offs

The match saw Slough player-coach Lee Togwell make his 200th appearance for the club since signing from Beaconsfield Town back in 2016.

Weymouth had the first chance in the game as a player was clear through and shot on goal, but keeper Jack Turner was able to save with his legs.

The Rebels had a couple of opportunities in the first half as Lench shot over the crossbar from a headed clearance before Ben Harris won possession and made room for a shot, but he could only put the ball wide.

Weymouth were unfortunate not to take the lead before the break when Calvin Brooks hit the post – a massive let off for the visitors.

Slough however were punished when conceding a penalty kick five minutes into the second half and Josh McQuoid found the back of the net from the spot.

READ MORE: Slough Town joint manager Neil Baker pleased with the response to the Hungerford Town defeat

The Rebels were gifted the chance to equalise with the award of a penalty just six minutes later but keeper Turner – who scored from the spot in the shoot-out win in midweek – saw his effort hit the crossbar.

The visitors had other opportunities to draw level as a lovely curling effort from Lench went just wide of the post before the Weymouth keeper hit his clearance into substitute Daniel Roberts, but the ball deflected over the bar.

Slough had Turner to thank for a superb double save but he could do nothing to deny substitute Andreas Robinson from finding the back of the net and secure Weymouth all three points inside the final two minutes.

Slough return to action with a visit to Arbour Park from Concord Rangers on Tuesday March 24 (7.45pm). The Rebels will be looking for some revenge after a 2-1 defeat in the reverse fixture back in August.