BEFORE all table tennis activity was temporarily suspended in the country, the Junior British League season did manage to come to a conclusion.

The Cippenham girls’ team travelled to Derby in the hope of overhauling a two-point deficit and win Division Three in their first season.

Needing to win their final match against St. Neots and with anticipation high, unfortunately they were unable to secure a vital victory.

A 3-3 draw left them with the runners-up medals - a successful but ultimately disappointing conclusion.

The Cippenham team of Hannah Silcock, who hails from Jersey in the Channel Islands, plus Rachael Iles and Anna Piercey, set about their business from the start.

READ MORE: The Football Association and the National League System end the season with all results expunged

The Saturday morning fixture with Lillington resulted in a 4-2 win for Cippenham, with Silcock easily winning her two matches and assisted by one each from Iles and Piercey.

The lunchtime match against Britannia went one better as Cippenham eclipsed the team from Ipswich 5-1.

This time it was Iles and Piercey who starred with two wins each while Silcock suffered her only reverse of the weekend, beaten by Isobel McGerty.

Better still, the late afternoon match resulted in a 6-0 romp over bottom team Halton 2s. With St. Neots having dropped their first point of the season in a 3-3 draw with Ackworth, the gap at the top of the table had narrowed to one point.

On Sunday morning it was Cippenham’s turn to play Ackworth and, unlike St. Neots, they ran out easy winners 5-1 with Silcock and Piercey both winning twice.

READ MORE: The Thames Valley Cricket League to help clubs financially during the coronavirus crisis

The season was set up for a grand finale with Cippenham still one point behind St. Neots and therefore needing to beat them in the last match.

Iles lost to Stefania Pope in the opening set but Silcock equalised for Cippenham against Chloe Pryke.

St. Neots then reasserted their lead when Aditi Dhillon beat Piercey leaving Cippenham needing to win all three remaining sets to take the divisional title.

Hopes were kept alive by Silcock, who recovered from two games to one down to beat Popa in the closest of encounters 14-12 in the fifth game.

Iles then beat Dhillon 3-1 and it was left to Piercey to defeat Pryke in the final set. That was not to be and the St. Neots player won 3-0.