SLOUGH Town extended their unbeaten run in the National League South to six matches after a 2-0 win against Hemel Hempstead Town at Arbour Park on Tuesday, writes Rob Stevens.

The Rebels broke the deadlock through wide midfielder Warren Harris in the 25th minute.

The move started on the left wing with Daniel Roberts managing to poke the ball infield while under pressure. Max Worsfold and Lee Togwell both turned down a shot inside the box and instead passed to their right.

The ball ended up with Harris who struck a right-foot shot that Hemel keeper Danny Boness got a hand to but could not keep out.

Slough doubled their advantage when summer signing Worsfold bagged his first goal for the club four minutes before the break.

Harris turned provider this time as he passed the ball infield from the right and Worsfold curled a left-foot shot from the right edge of the box past Boness and into the far corner of the goal.

Hemel were unfortunate not to pull a goal back late on as captain Connor Essam got his head to a corner but saw his effort bounce off the top of the crossbar and out to safety.

Slough joint-manager Jon Underwood told the Observer: “I’m absolutely delighted. It was our best performance so far this season by a long way.

“I can’t remember us playing better at Arbour Park than in the first half in terms of the football that we played. Hemel couldn’t cope with our movement.

“We work on playing that way in training. It doesn’t always translate on to a game day but it did on Tuesday and some of our football was just sublime.

“We created chances and they were unable to stop us playing out from the back. We had so much movement ahead of the back four.

“I’m not going to say it was easy because that’s disrespectful to Hemel, but it felt easy to get out and keep the ball. We kept the ball for long spells against a good side.

“Hemel are one of the stronger teams in the league and have had a great start to the season but on the night we were too good for them, particularly in the first half.

“The danger was going to be no two halves of football are ever the same. We knew they had options on the bench to go a little bit more direct – two big forwards to bring on. They chose to do that and it made it harder for us to get out and pass from the back with their two forwards pushed on as opposed to the one.

“They were hoping to get lucky from a ball in the box or a knock down, but we coped with that really well. We stood up to that physical threat.

“We looked really good on the break so it was almost the perfect performance. It was two different halves but as managers you want to see your team do it both ways. We played the football and then were solid.

“It’s our first clean sheet of the season, which we were desperate to get, so it was a big night for us.”

He continued: “We know all about Warren. He tends to score in little spells and he’s having a hot-streak at the moment. He just has so much desire to get into the box.

“Playing the shape that we are, with only one out-and-out forward, you need your wide players to chip in and they did on Tuesday.

“Max struggled in the first few games and we didn’t see the best of him but he’s got better and better.

“He is a goal-scoring wide player and it’s great for him to get off the mark. That will give him confidence but he’s really settled in now and is a valuable asset.”

On the 4-5-1 formation, Underwood added: “We’ve been forced into playing one up front with the injury problems we’ve had. A few games ago we were so light on forwards but now we’ve got them all fit and available.

“It’s not our favoured system, playing with one out-and-out striker, and it puts a lot of responsibility on young Daniel Roberts but he has done really well.

“It does rely on you passing the ball. There is no point in pumping long balls up to Daniel. We have to be brave and that’s what we’ve been working on.

“Matthew Lench has been outstanding playing in the hole behind Daniel and the wide players have chipped in, but that system does not work if you don’t pass the ball well and work had."

The win means Slough have moved up two places to 13th position in the league table ahead of a trip to Eastbourne Borough this Saturday (3pm).