A TEENAGER who terrified a family when he randomly sprayed a noxious gas through their living room window, causing them to be sick, has been sentenced for the crime.

The boy, 17, from Slough, was sentenced yesterday (Friday, August 11) at Reading Magistrates' Court where he was given a curfew as part of a Youth Rehabilitation Order and an electronic tag. He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours unpaid work within the next 12 months.

He had sprayed the gas, which was not acid, into the Green family's home in Skydmore Path, Britwell around 5.19pm on Sunday, July 16.

He was charged two days later with one count of possession of a weapon for the discharge of a noxious gas, contrary to the Firearms Act.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had then pleaded guilty to the offence on July 19.

Investigating officer, Detective constable Samuel French from the investigation Hub based at Slough Police station, said: “I hope our thorough investigation and swift arrest and charge demonstrates to the public that Thames Valley Police (TVP) will not tolerate weapons being carried on our streets.

“The boy’s senseless actions left the eight occupants of the house feeling extremely nauseous which resulted in them being taken to hospital. Thankfully, no-one sustained any serious injuries."

Caroline Green, 36, had been working in her kitchen while her two daughters, Lily, 15, and Chelsea, 19, were speaking to a group of three friends on their doorstep when the crime took place. They said the boy had approached the living room window and sprayed a substance inside from a canister – then fled.

Mrs Green said at the time: “Two of the youngsters started throwing up, and another had a stinging, burning sensation across her skin.

“My youngest daughter’s chest was so tight she couldn’t breath, and had to be given oxygen by the fire service.

“My oldest’s face and eyes were burning, and she had huge stomach pains.”

The police, fire, and ambulance services all attended the scene. As the nature of the gas was unknown, all eight people had to undress and wear robes in their own back garden, as well two neighbours who helped after the attack.

Mrs Green said: “We had to strip down naked, and put these orange suits on to decontaminate.

“We were taken to hospital for ECG and blood tests.”

The nature of the substance has still not been confirmed by TVP.