BURNHAM manager Mark Betts has been encouraged by recent performances despite his team still searching for a first win this season.

Betts had been questioning his own position as manager at The Gore having accrued just three points in eight league matches, leaving The Blues bottom in the Hellenic Premier Division.

Burnham suffered a 2-1 league defeat at Longlevens on Saturday before a 3-2 loss at Wantage Town in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup first round on Tuesday.

However, Betts argues the performances were full of promise and that, with a little more luck, his side could have registered a much-needed first win.

He told the Observer: “My situation has been resolved. Maybe I came on a little too strong at the time but it has given the players a bit of direction on what I am. I’m easy going but will not tolerate certain performances.

“The board want it to work and there are still a few things going on at the club that we have to be patient with.

“It’s just one of those things. You got frustrated when you’re passionate about something. It’s promising and getting better, but the only thing that’s not justifying that is the results.”

Burnham turn their attention to the FA Vase and a second qualifying round tie away at Highworth Town this Saturday (3pm).

Betts said: “We go to Highworth and will come up against a decent side.

“They’re absolutely flying but if we put a similar performance in you never know. It’s the FA Vase and there’s something a little special about this competition.”

Commenting on the Senior Cup defeat to Wantage, Betts said: "Tuesday night was a massive improvement because Wantage are a good side.

"Their manager said you must feel like this [frustrated] every week but once we get a first win we will start to pull away from the bottom.

"Travelling on the night saw a few players get a little caught up, so it was not ideal preparation, but the lads that started done well.

"We had one goal ruled out for offside early on when it might have been very close but we gave a good account of ourselves.

"Barry Dunbar came on and scored the two goals and, in hindsight, if he started the game might have been totally different."

On Longlevens he said: "We went 1-0 up and had a good 20-25 minute spell where Longlevens couldn't get into the game. But, we didn't take our chances then a rare error from our keeper let them back into the game.

"We didn't put our chances away and got caught on the break. We deserved something on Saturday."

Check out the Observer sports Facebook page. Search: Robert Observer Sport and like, follow and share today.