SLOUGH Town recovered from falling a goal behind to beat Poole Town 2-1 on Saturday and progress into the FA Cup fourth qualifying round.

The Rebels had beaten Berkhamsted and Dulwich Hamlet to reach the third qualifying round stage but were taking on higher-league opposition for the first time in the competition this season.

Poole are currently in the relegation places in National South but they made a good start at Arbour Park as Warren Bentley gave them a first half lead.

Slough responded after the half-time interval and Chris Flood levelled the scores at 1-1 on 57 minutes - his ninth goal of the season and fourth in the last three matches.

George Wells then made sure The Rebels would be in the hat for the draw on Monday with his first goal for the club eight minutes from the final whistle.

A delighted Rebels joint-manager Neil Baker told the Observer: “It was a big win, massive win for the club. It wasn’t our greatest performance, especially in the first-half when we were a little bit lacklustre, but we kept on going and played our way into it.

“We deserved to win the game, we created far more chances than they did and I thought the best side won on the day, and I’ absolutely delighted. It’s a massive win for the club.

“We created the better chances throughout the game. Their lad has scored a good goal and we’re probably a little bit disappointed about it defensively, but it’s still a good finish.

“There was an unfortunate slip in the build-up and there might have been a little push in the back, but it would have been a soft free-kick if I’m honest.

“There were no real complaints from us. We just thought it was a little bit too easy, a long ball and the lad has got in, and we should have dealt with it better, but it is what it is.

“Poole had one or two half-chances, but they didn’t open us up really and we created a number of chances in the first half and second.

“We weren’t at the top of our game on Saturday but said at half-time it was a good opportunity to get through to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup and the lads delivered.

“It’s another win plus £7,500 for the club and it’s massive. At the end of the day we have achieved what we set out to do and that is getting into the fourth qualifying round.”

Baker continued: “In the second 45 minutes we were much better and created some good opportunities.

“I had a funny feeling it wasn’t going to be our day when we hit the crossbar and had a few new misses. I just thought it might not be our day but it was.

“It was a good win and I’m delighted to beat them.

“Poole are a Conference South side and, no disrespect to them, but I felt that we were a much stronger side than they were.

“Their keeper will feel for himself, he will not want to see that again, it was a mistake, there is no doubt about it. He pretty much got his hands behind it and probably took his eyes off the ball at the last minute.

“It’s great fortune for us and great for George to score his first goal for the club, and I don’t care how it happened because we deserved to win it anyway.

“So we will take that element of luck but that is what you need in the FA Cup.”

Looking ahead to the draw for the fourth qualifying round, which saw Slough given a home to against Folkestone Invicta, Baker said: “There are some massive teams now in the Conference National.

“You just look at Maidenhead and who they are playing week-in-week-out. The likes of Tranmere Rovers, Leyton Orient and Maidstone. It’s just a big league full of Football League clubs.

“We would love to get someone like Maidenhead at home. What a fantastic game that would be.

“We can dream about it and we also know we are only 90 minutes away from what is potentially season-changing for a club.”

Check out the Observer sports Facebook. Search: Robert Observer Sport and like, follow and share today.